Before you apply, please read the instructions to see a list of required materials for your application.
FLAS Application Criteria
Summer 2018 FLAS Awards
- All Students, All Programs
- $2,500 summer stipend, plus tuition award (up to $5,000 FLAS tuition limit) for cost of language course only.
- Summer undergraduate awards require enrollment in intermediate level language instruction (second-year level) or higher of a less commonly taught language (study of French, German or Spanish is NOT eligible). Some centers may require that undergraduate FLAS awardees enroll in a level higher than second-year.
- Undergraduates who graduate prior to the beginning of the program to which they are applying remain eligible only under certain conditions, including being enrolled in a graduate program by Fall 2018. Please talk to the relevant center.
- All students who are applying to (a) center(s) for FLAS in support of summer language study at IUB or abroad should use this FLAS application.
- All students who are applying for summer language instruction in the IU Summer Language Workshop (formerly SWSEEL) should use this FLAS application AND ALSO apply directly to the IU Summer Language Workshop at: http://www.indiana.edu/~swseel/.
- All students are urged to contact the relevant center(s) for specific summer details to avoid mistakes that may jeopardize the award.
Academic Year 2018-19 FLAS Awards
PLEASE NOTE: The availability of FLAS awards in Academic Year 2018-19 is contingent upon confirmation of federal funding from the U.S. Department of Education for all FLAS Centers. Please check this website regularly for updates regarding the Academic Year 2018-19 FLAS competition, which will occur separately and after the Summer 2018 competition.
- Undergraduate Students
- $5,000 academic year stipend, plus maximum tuition award of $10,000 or actual tuition if lower.
- Requires enrollment in intermediate level language instruction (second-year level) or higher of a less commonly taught language (study of French, German or Spanish is NOT eligible for FLAS support for undergraduates). Some centers may require that undergraduate FLAS awardees enroll in a level higher than second-year.
- Graduate Students
- $15,000 academic year stipend, plus tuition award of at least $18,000 or actual tuition if lower (maximum 12 credit hours per semester).
- Automatic enrollment in the graduate student health insurance plan with the cost of the student premium paid by the fellowship.