Area Studies Centers
Area studies in the College of Arts and Sciences provide SGIS students with unparalleled opportunities to develop the highest levels of expertise in a specific country or region of the world.
For more than a half-century, area studies centers at IU have been at the forefront of international teaching and scholarship, receiving ongoing support and national distinction through the Title VI initiative established through the Higher Education Act.
In fact, the College is home to 11 federally funded Title VI area studies centers—the largest number of such centers anywhere in the United States.
Supported by faculty with vast expertise, these centers are a critical resource for students seeking deep knowledge, historical perspective, cultural and language competency, and the advanced research skills they need to live and work in a global environment.
SGIS is uniquely positioned to offer students global engagement through area studies centers in vital areas of the world, including Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America, Russia, and the Middle East.
Area Studies Centers at SGIS
- African Studies Program
- Center for Languages of the Central Asian Region
- Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies
- Center for the Study of Global Change
- Center for the Study of the Middle East
- East Asian Studies Center
- European Union Center
- Dhar India Studies Program
- Inner Asian and Uralic National Resource Center
- Islamic Studies Program
- National African Language Resource Center
- Russian & East European Institute
- Institute for European Studies Center
- Southeast Asian Studies